Dr. James Medlock and team offer a wide range of dental services to handle the needs of all of our patients. From regular check-ups and professional cleaning to cosmetic procedures like dental implants and teeth whitening, we have you covered. While regular dental check-ups are imperative to keeping your teeth and gums healthy, so is proper at-home care. We offer the following tips to help keep plaque and tartar build-up at bay.
- Brush your teeth properly. It sounds like a simple tip that everyone knows, but there are still people who do not brush at least twice per day and don't do it the right way. To brush your teeth correctly, you'll want to find a soft bristle toothbrush. Place the toothbrush on the teeth at a 45-degree angle and brush in a slow, circular motion. Make sure to clean all surfaces of the teeth and brush the tongue to keep bad breath at bay. For easier cleaning, consider investing in an electric toothbrush.
- Floss daily. Flossing is one of the most overlooked aspects of daily oral hygiene, yet it is an extremely important way to clean food and bacteria from between the teeth. To floss properly, use about a foot of floss (any kind you like) and wrap it around each of your index fingers, leaving a couple of inches free. Gently place the floss between the teeth and wrap around each tooth. Gently slide the floss up and down to clean the entire tooth, making sure to go all the way down to the gum line.
- Rinse, rinse, rinse. If you are unable to brush, rinsing is a great way to clean your mouth after snacks.
- Proper nutrition. Eating a balanced diet that is filled with vegetables, fruit, and whole grains is a great way to help prevent tooth decay. Foods high in sugar can damage teeth and should be avoided or consumed sparingly.
- Stop using tobacco – Tobacco products not only stain your teeth, but put you at an increased risk for cancer, and gum disease.
A proper at-home routine along with twice-yearly visits with your dentist can help ensure you enjoy a lifetime of beautiful and healthy smiles. Call us today to schedule an appointment. We are located at 2326 South Congress, Suite 1D, West Palm Beach, Florida 33406.
Back to Home Page